Jump to Navigation

Minnesota Custody Relocations and Wisconsin Custody Relocations

Helping With Relocations After Divorce

Parents who remarry or find new jobs often wish to move to another state. When that move affects children, the court becomes involved if the other parent does not consent to the relocation.

At the St. Paul law firm serving Minnesota and Wisconsin, Chmielewski Law Office, we help parents who wish to relocate. We also represent parents who are fighting the relocation of a former spouse and the children. To learn more, contact a lawyer at the Woodbury, Minnesota office. Call us toll-free at 866-446-6529.

Minnesota Law Concerning Relocation and Wisconsin Law Concerning Relocation

Minnesota Statute 518.175 and Wisconsin Statute 767.481, defined in greater detail by each state's case precedent, governs the relocation of children. Its most important provisions include:

  • A parent with primary residential custody must obtain the consent of the secondary parent if a move would affect the secondary parent's ability to carry out court-ordered parenting time.
  • If consent cannot be obtained, the parent seeking to relocate must complete the Notice of Intent to Relocate and other forms.
  • If the other parent objects to the relocation, the court will decide by answering the following questions:
  • Would the move improve the child's quality of life?
  • Have existing visitation rights been used by the other parent?
  • Will the parent seeking to relocate be likely to abide by new visitation arrangements if ordered?
  • Will new time sharing arrangements be likely to support an ongoing, meaningful relationship with the secondary parent?
  • Can the parents afford additional transportation costs required to comply with any new visitation arrangements?
  • Is the move in the best interests of the child?

How Our Law Firm Can Help With Relocations

We can help you prepare the necessary documents and work with you to develop visitation proposals or counter-proposals. If a hearing becomes necessary, we will accompany you to court. We can consult with experts, such as child psychologists, to determine whether a relocation is in the best interests of the child. We can request a temporary order that will be revisited after the proposed arrangements have been in place for an agreed-upon time.

Protecting Children, Advocating for Parents

In relocations, as in all modifications, our goal is to protect the children involved while representing our clients. To discuss your situation, contact our law firm for a free 30-minute consultation. Call the Chmielewski Law Office toll-free at 866-446-6529. to talk to a Minnesota or Wisconsin divorce lawyer today.